Module 8: Blended Learning (Option B)

Coming from a travel and tourism background, I look at HyperDocs as a virtual itinerary, which is equally applicable to the classroom. Instead of writing the daily schedule on the board, a teacher could create a daily or weekly HyperDoc that had links to the resources and assignments in all subjects. Following that guide, a student, either in class or on distance learning, could access everything for the day or week. That would minimize the need to print and copy worksheets and instructions and probably save a few million trees, and it would also mean that students would be less likely to “lose” assignments, since they would always have access to them through whatever method the teacher chose to distribute the HyperDoc (Google Classroom, Clever links in messages, Padlet, email, etc.) HyperDocs also make it easier for the teacher to edit and update assignments with less worry about distribution.

Differentiation is also easier to manage. Students on both sides of the exceptional range could be given access to enrichment, alternate assignments, and remedial work, all organized by HyperDoc.

The Assignment

Having completed the Google Slides version of Module 8 first, I wanted to see if I could create a similar assignment as a HyperDoc. The parameters for the assignment were a little different, but I managed to implement all of the resources I found or created for the Google Slides version into my HyperDoc. Both options focus on learning and using Japanese greetings. In my HyperDoc, I managed to add more optional video resources, and the Reflection column was also an addition. I love metacognition!

The learning objective is to teach some simple but useful Japanese greetings that the students can learn quickly and will use regularly for as long as they are speaking the language. I feel that this objective is best met through flipped learning because it allows me teach the class before the course actually begins, giving the student a chance to step into the classroom with some useful vocabulary under their belts.

The Resources I Chose

I chose several different videos that demonstrate using Japanese greetings. These videos incorporate โ€œexperts,โ€ i.e. native Japanese language speakers as teachers and models for expression and intonation. In learning a second language, it’s not enough to know the words and what they mean. The student needs to see how the words are used. What is the proper inflection? How about body language and facial expressions? What situations are appropriate for which phrases? Video gives us the power to demonstrate that, both in the classroom and at home.

Another nice thing about the videos is that they are easily updatable. When better videos are uploaded, or if the creator removes the current ones, it’s only a matter of a few clicks to replace them in the document. Plagiarism and misappropriation also cease to be an issue, since the resources can be linked directly to the publisher’s accounts, giving credit where credit is due.

I included a vocabulary list from A Piece of Sushi that give the greetings in Japanese with an English translation. Many such lists exist, and I could have easily created one myself, but I like to link things that give my students access to resources from the outside world.

I created my own dialog practice and quiz using skills I learned in this and other modules of the course. I’ve already used a lot of these skills in my classroom and PLC, so thanks, Cult of Pedagogy!

Differentiation and Active Participation

I provided differentiation by including several optional resources including an enrichment “Just for Fun” video. Active participation was facilitated in ไบ” with an opportunity to earn Class Equity dollars through structured practice, using the greetings and expressions with different classmates throughout the week.

Option A vs Option B

Google Slides and HyperDoc are both great options for implementing Blended Learning. I enjoyed the formatting freedom of Google Slides with its ability to place content anywhere on the slide without significant restrictions as well as the ability to play video content directly in the slide.

I also enjoyed the structure that the HyperDoc afforded, keeping things restricted to a grid to make it more recognizably “step-by-step.” If I needed to print this off for a student or myself, it would look better than a print of the Google Slide.

All in all, it’s a matter of the right tool for the right job. I would use HyperDocs for some things and Google Slides for others, and a hybrid of both for still others. I noticed one of the bonuses in the HyperDoc module was for creating a HyperDoc in a Google Slide, and I thought, “Hey, I should do that too!” until I realized that I already did by completing Option A. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

My HyperDoc

The lesson I created is pictured below. You can click on the image or on this word to get a better look!